The Future - Museum Goals
Texas Transportation Museum continues to build on its long history of growth and development. We have bold plans for the future that will enhance the experience for our visitors and make our museum one of the premier transportation museums in the state. We intend to bring our small historic steam locomotive back into service, extend our tracks by a mile and, ultimately, to build a brand new, two story display building, complete with class rooms that will house our extensive collections and provide a better opportunity for us to demonstrate the incredible contributions that transportation developments have made to the lives of everybody across or region. It won't be easy and it won't be cheap but we are determined to maintain our impressive level of growth and build for a facility that makes an even greater contribution to our community.
Short Term Goals
- Upgrade access to our historic depot for disabled persons - DONE !.
- Finish off signage improvement project - DONE !
- Complete installation of railroad semaphore signals at main gate - DONE !
- Restore newly acquired railroad gang car and put into service - DONE !
- Re-route electrical supply to better balance load across museum - DONE !
- Publish second book on San Antonio transportation history - DONE !
- Install roof over converted flat car for comfort of passengers - DONE !
Medium Term Goals
- Build shade over static steam locomotive and historic railroad cars. (+ - $45,000)
- Exterior restoration of both historic railroad cars. (+ - $50,000 Each)
- Install air conditioning in historic depot. (+ - $6,000) - DONE !
- Build pavilion over existing slab.(+ - $20,000) - DONE !
- Build pavilion and new slab. Can accommodate 100 people. (+ - $35,000)
- Build additional restrooms, for rising number of visitors. (+ - $50,000)
- Repair roof of railroad car barn. (+ - $15,000) - DONE !
Long Term Goals
- Extend our railroad tracks around our property.. (+ - $750,000)
- Restore small steam locomotive to service. (+ - $100,000)
- Build two story display building complete with classrooms. (+ - $500,000)
- Restore 1942 GE diesel-electric locomotive to service. (+ - $50,000) DONE !
- Acquire operational railroad freight cars. (+ - $75,000)
- Acquire operational passenger railroad car. (+ - $75,000)
- Build automobile service shop, with pits and/or hydraulic lifts. (+ - $60,000)
- Pave parking lots and main oval road on or property. (+ - $100,000)
We are always looking for new ways to finance all the improvements we would like to achieve at Texas Transportation Museum. If you are looking for a place where your donation will make a difference, you can be sure any contribution you make to TTM will work hard on behalf of a great institution with a great future.